Friday, July 31, 2009

Cutting into the wool

I have cut into the wool. I decided to line it with a brown cotton I found at Needle and Thread in Gettysburg. I had intended to use it as skirt half lining but it will work better as bodice lining on this dress than white, which is what I had originally planned.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wool dress mock up

Finished the mock up and fitting it to the dress form. Next I'll sew it up completely and do a fitting on me.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Changing projects

I'm putting the ballgown aside for a bit. I'm not finding the lace I want to edge the bertha and I need to work on dresses for Lost Tribes.

My next project is my wool. The fabric is a navy tropical wool a friend found at an amazing price. The trim is some I bought at a City Wide Garage Sale several years ago; it's kind of a brownish green.

I'm using Simplicity 4400 with the gathered sleeve and will cut the waist straight rather than V'd. I think I might also make the collar smaller, similar to this.

The trim will run down the sleeve like in the pattern picture and across the chest similar to these two women's dresses.
But what bonnet to wear with it?

Sunday, July 19, 2009

More ballgown progress

I've been hung up with a brain cloud lately and reading, so didn't sew for a couple of days. But I now have the sleeves on the bodice. These sleeves will be covered by the lace bertha, which is the next thing to tackle. I'm going to put the ballgown aside at the end of the month to work on clothes for Lost Tribes. But hopefully I'll get most of the bodice done and will just have the skirt to do. Since it is so simple it should be relatively quick.

Thursday, July 9, 2009


The bodice out of the silk is together; not done obviously, but together enough to check the fit. It does not fit well on the dress form. I took the form off the stand just for convenience and I think it is settling or something. I tried the bodice on me and it worked. So I'm moving forward. The cat in the photos is Squirrel. Very little fussy old lady :).

Sunday, July 5, 2009

It Fits!

Tried the mock up on me and aside from the lengthening of the sides and the need for a new chemise it fits! Onward through the fog...

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Ballgown Bodice Mock up

How I spent my 4th of July day: After 3 adjustments the mock up is done except for some small take ins. At least it fits the dress form :). The next step is to see if it fits me.

Thursday, July 2, 2009


A friend of mine happened to be in Lubbock at her favorite lace place, which happened to be having a huge sale, like 70% off sale. She picked up some lace for me to use for the bertha on the ballgown.

It arrived in the mail today and it is gorgeous. The picture does not do it justice at all. It's really wide so I will have to....cut....I hate to though. It will make a beautiful bertha against the yellow silk.