Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ball Cancelled

I have had to cancel the ball due to lack of participation. Maybe it's the economy...I don't know. It's very disappointing. But it seems all of Texas has been heading this way; no one seems to be interested in living history or authentic events. They want the main stream, battle and ball, ladies' tea type events. I'm bored with those. I want living history, not reenactments of events that never came close to happening in Texas.

So now, instead, I'll be attending the 1860s Conference in Harrisburg, PA. This is not a bad thing, on the contrary. I always have a great time at this conference and seeing the originals. Carolann always does a great job with this. It's also nice to be with like-minded people. Most who attend are truly interested in the time and accruate interpretation of it. It will give me something to look forward to and help soothe the ball disappointment.

Because of my health, Piney Woods will not happen for me. Also disappointing, but I really don't want to deal with my issues out in the middle of the woods somewhere and don't wish to intrude on anyone else's enjoyment of the event by having to make concessions to the needs of my health.

There are some Texas mainstream events that are fairly close to Austin coming up, I'll probably make some day trips just to hang out as an excuse to make more dresses :). Next up is a short event docenting the houses at Henkel Square for a tour of the Texas Jewish Historical Society. If anyone is interested in Texas reenactment events I have some listed on my website.

So on with the new year...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's to bad i'm sure its a huge dissapointment.